The role of the School Support Officer at Campbell House School is to provide increased support for students with complex mental health needs, to enhance their resilience and safety and improve wellbeing. The role involves making links with outside agencies, forming positive partnerships with parents/carers, teachers and counsellors to best support the wellbeing needs of students and their families. The SSO is bound by confidentiality and reporting procedures in line with DoE policy.
Mark's role covers a myriad of aspects, including:
- Strengthen and build student resilience through whole school and 1:1 programs
- Connect students with their families
- Be a proactive member of the learning support executive team and be involved in case conferences as required
- Liaise with school counsellors to support students emotional and health needs
- Be an active member in resolutions from suspensions and have a direct role in formulating plans to work with students post resolution
- Build, enhance, develop positive relationships with the whole school community
- Advocate for students and their families
- Support students wellbeing and school plan initiatives ( Positive Education, anti bullying, harmony day, R U OK ? anger management)
- Collate data on efficacy of programs and initiatives
- Apply for grants to support school plan initiatives
- In class support for high complex students in Tutorial program
- Professional development for self and others in nominated areas linked to target areas.
- Manage @MarkHankinCHS Facebook for regular contact with students during school holiday period.
- Link with outside agencies for extended support.
- Media communication
- Partnerships with families/agencies
- Research and evaluate evidence based wellbeing programs
- Link with counsellors
- Follow up on exited students every 6 months & 12 months
- Post school support
- Health and Hygiene programs
- Support camps and excursions
- Support transitions (school/ work/ post school)
Mark has his own Facebook Page through the CHS Facebook Page, where he will post helpful information or can be contacted by students he works with. You can find him at facebook.com/MarkHankinCHS/